Translate

Friday, February 27, 2015

Living in the Moment

Life is too short


I received word last week that a very dear friend of our family had died as a result of complications from a heart transplant...and then just a day later I hear via email that a very vivacious 67 year old had died in her sleep one night and her family was planning her funeral! 

Each time I get news like this, I shudder and begin to get fearful...life is too short! It's NOT fair! I felt that way when my father died at 70(too young)... and now I, myself, am inching my way towards those numbers. I hold my 6 month old grand baby close to my chest and know that each moment with him is immensely precious! None of us wants to think about life's swift passing!

Skating on the Lake


That is why, yesterday, when I saw the sunshine and the fact that the temperature had risen closer to 30 degrees, I made my husband come outside with me so that I could put on my ice skates and attempt to skate on the little ice rink our neighbors had carved out of the snow on the lake. Somehow I wanted to prove to myself and others (via Face book) that I could still do this and I am still very much alive and active! (And...I got 87 likes!)

AND....I did it! (Without falling!)

My poor husband walked around the periphery of the little rink, checking to make sure the ice wasn't crackingHe had brought a cord, a shovel and an ice chopper just to make sure we had something in case I fell in. There was no need to worry, though! I did just fine and thoroughly enjoyed the bright sun, beautiful white snow and clear skies.

Life is too short to waste time thinking about the "what ifs".  Sometimes we have to grab at opportunities to do and experience life's moments without fear.

I plan to experience as many moments as I can, while I can. That's not to say that I won't feel sad or worried from time to time, but I have learned to focus on those moments that bring me joy, even in the midst of difficulties.
                                                                                                                                                                 Enjoy your day and be blessed my beloved friends!



"I will make you a great nation, and I will bless you!"
Genesis 12:2

No comments: