Translate

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Living Life Looking in the Rear View Mirror

Looking Back

Flee for your Lives! Don't Look Back!

Well... Whew! I feel like I have relived some of the past by looking at my old journals...I am looking back!

I  recently had a discussion with some friends about the story in the Bible about Lot and his wife.  In the story, they were leaving behind their life as they knew it. 




"Flee for your lives! Don't look back, and don't stop anywhere in the plain! Flee to the mountains or you will be swept away!"

Genesis 19:17

"But Lot's wife looked back and she became a pillar of salt." Verse 26

I do not want to become a pillar of salt, frozen, hard, solid, unmoving,  I must keep moving forward toward whatever the future may bring. We cannot go back. Not one of us.

I serves no purpose to look back...unless there are lessons that are clear and have meaning for us in the present.  Some memories can do that for us...but there is also a danger in looking back.

If we are continuously looking back, we may find we are living life with a rear view mirror perspective. That the past is all there is. That we can't break free from past mistakes, past sins. We are driving backwards, not moving ahead and onward. We keep living with the same view. A backwards glance. We can't afford to do this to our children either.

With God's help I continue to put one foot in front of the other and move forwards with this day and the very next moment.  Come again, Lord, and strengthen me for the day ahead! Don't let me become "frozen" in the past!

There is still so much to look ahead to! 

Our Children Cannot Go Back

We
have come over a long road
to the place where we are now...
in human experience,
and in our knowledge of God.
It is an impulse
stemming from good will to say
to our children
"This is the way I have come...
you must learn this way..."
But our children cannot go back
to the land from which we have come.
God has asked us to bring them 
to this place
and from here
They must be strong 
to go on
into a new world
which we may never
comprehend.

Gladis and Gordon De Pree  


No comments: