Translate

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Face to Face with Mortality

Last week I was driving home from work.  It was a beautiful, cool, sunny fall day.  I was listening to the radio and minding my own business.  At a stoplight, as I was waiting for the light to change and the traffic to move on, I was rammed from behind by a Ford 150 pick-up truck! After the hit from behind, my car slammed into the car in front of me as well...so I was hit on both ends.  For a moment I just sat there and stared into space....a bit shaken up, I finally got out of the car and came face to face with the man who hit me and the woman who I hit.  I took one look at my car and suddenly felt so sad.  I really have an emotional attachment to that car!  As the paramedic checked me out, he said to me, "Cars can be replaced, you cannot be!  Are you all right?"  Yes, I was and I am.  I have been thinking about my own mortality though during the past few weeks and months.  Maybe I am feeling like I'm on the other side of the hill now, heading for the grave someday.  I always thought that would be later rather than sooner, and I hope it will be, but I doubt that I will live another 56 years!  So I am getting closer to that time.  I know I am not afraid...it's just that I'm not ready yet!  Things can happen so quickly!  I sat on the grass the other day, just praising God for protecting me and keeping me safe....for now!

Psalm 23

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall not fear for thou art with me..."

Thanks be to God for walking, (and driving) with me!

No comments: