Translate

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sad Sunflower Moments

Is it possible to be so sad and grieving and at the same time to feel loved and welcome?  Why was is so hard to say goodbye yesterday to a wonderful friend who is finally at peace, with God, watching us from above as we shared  our memories?  At the same time it felt so good to all be together to be a part of his memorial. I give God so many "Thanks" for the life of my friend, Steve, who passed away on April 21, 2009, after a struggle with cancer.  


I marvel at the privilege I was given to know such a wonderful group of people who all gathered yesterday to celebrate his life.  I wonder how it came to be that I have had the honor to have known this man, who was such a good person to the core, and how God worked to arrange my life to intertwine with his in unsuspected ways almost 30 years ago. Life and death are mysteries to me.  

As my friend said to me yesterday, we take life on faith.  There exists that power, the power of God.  When we allow that power to lead our lives, strange and wonderful relationships, fun, memories and experiences shape our days and can bring us such wonder.  I believe it is that power that brought me into that group of life-long friends.  I thank God for that.  I thank God for welcoming Steve home into a better place.  Someday I'll see him again.

Could I have had a sunflower moment yesterday amongst my dear friends while we were grieving?  
Could it be that the special moments and relationships became clearer as we celebrated in sorrow?  I believe it was a sunflower moment for me.  

1 comment:

Therese said...

This was a beautiful entry. I have seen this sad sunflower in my own life. Thank you.