Translate

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Early Morning Moments

I am in Indiana visiting my daughter and her husband and our little grandson, Jack.  I had the pleasure of staying with Jack all day yesterday while my daughter went to work.  It was a pleasant day, a flash-back to my days as a stay at home mom! I went for a walk with the baby and the dog, did some laundry, threw some dishes in the dishwasher, gave Jack a bath, clipped his fingernails, fed him some cereal and Cheerios, etc...quite a fun time!  It was fun, low-key and truly a peaceful, uncomplicated day for me.

This morning I woke up at 5:30 am to Jack crying in his bed.  I went in to check on him and met Michelle in the nursery.  She said she had just fed Jack and didn't know why he was fussy.  I picked him up and discovered he was all wet! I changed him and told Michelle to go back to bed.  I brought him back to bed with me!

It's funny how a baby is made to fit so nicely together with his grandmother. We snuggled together and he offered me his "paci" (pacifier).  He wiggled and kicked for about 20 minutes, but didn't cry at all.  Suddenly, Kozmo, the dog, jumped up on the bed with us and Jack had to sit up to see what the commotion was all about! He loves his "puppy"!  Finally, Jack began to relax and doze off.  Kozmo was snuggled up to my hip side and Jack was softly relaxing upon my arm on the other side.  I believe I was in "Grandma Heaven".
It was one of my very special "Sunflower moments"! I was holding my precious grandson, snuggling with the dog, watching the sun come up and in through the window and listening to the birds in the backyard.  I felt tears of joy and gratitude well up in my eyes and drip slowly down onto the pillow.  I was created for moments like these. Precious times that all too quickly pass unnoticed.  I noticed today and I am grateful for the experience.  

Thanks be to God for creating me for such moments of joy and bliss under His care.

1 comment:

IowaDoc said...

Gail, Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. What a wonderful moment; it's nice to be old enough to be aware of how precious they are. Think of you often and hope you're well. Love, W